Saturday, May 13, 2006
Great Person?
To be confident you have to think that, from a human point of view, you have lots to offer to the world. I am Italian, and so my English accent isn't from Oxford and sometimes people pick on this. I don't care because I know that a large component of communication skills is body language for instance. I also know that compared to many more standard people with a more standard English accent I am more original and people tend to remember me. Why aren't you confident? Try to think of what you can offer to the world, to a friend, a girlfriend, your boss. And don’t be too concerned about making mistakes, everyone does, even the top politicians and CEOs. I make lots of mistakes and as long as you try to learn from them and not make the same ones again, it’s fine and people forget! One more thing, don’t take yourself or anyone too seriously, and try to have fun in every context and situation. You’ll come across as a lot more relaxed and confident and you’ll instantly communicate this to everyone in the room. One last thing, as an exercise, try to be a little more daring, call an old friend you haven’t contacted for ages and ask him/her out, pick up the phone, call McKinsey and Co and ask to speak with the Head of Recruitment and say you have the potential to be a Leader. I have done it once and it’s great, didn’t get through to the head of recruitment and don’t work for McKinsey now but I can tell you the person I spoke with really got impressed by my approach and gave me recognition! And now reply to this post and tell everyone what a great person you are!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
hey andrea,
i dunno how i came across ur blog ,, but i did bother reading and i really liked it ,, especially this post ,, will read the others over a period of time ,, and your blog's impact will definitely result in me calling mckinsey :)
ali
Post a Comment